Refereed Journal Articles
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2017). “Livelihoods and Production Diversity on U.S. Permaculture Farms.” Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems (in press). Link.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2015). “Grassroots Engagement with Transition to Sustainability: Diversity and Modes of Participation in the International Permaculture Movement.” Ecology and Society 20(4):39. Download.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2014). “Permaculture for Agroecology: Design, Movement, Practice, and Worldview. A Review.” Agronomy for Sustainable Development 34 (2): 251–74. Download.
Manuscripts in Review
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (in review). “Diversification Increases Labor Productivity on US Permaculture Farms.”
- Ferguson, RS. (2015a). Permaculture as movement and practice: research frontiers and transition strategies. Presented at the Coventry University Centre for Agroecology, Water, and Resilience, Coventry, UK.
- Ferguson, RS. (2015b). Permaculture in Theory and Practice: Grassroots Agroecology and Diversified Farms. Presented at the Permaculture et agroécologie, Paris, France: AgroParisTech, UMR SAD-APT. Video.
- Ferguson, RS, and E Toensmeier. (2014). Perennial agriculture now: a global review of perennial staple crops by climate region and nutrient profile. Presented at the American Society of Agronomy International Annual Meeting: Great challenges, grand solutions., Long Beach, CA. Video.
- Ferguson, RS. (2013). Permaculture and Agroecological Transition. Presented at the Berkeley Center for Diversified Farming Systems.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2013). Recovering the Future: food system transition pathways on (and around) US permaculture farms. Presented at the Yale Food Systems Symposium 2013: Urbanization and Food System Transformation, New Haven, CT: Yale University. Paper. Slides.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2015). Permaculture as a Catalyst for Agroforestry Adoption: Perennial Production Systems on Diversified Farms. Presented at the 14th North American Agroforestry Conference, Ames, IA: Association for Temperate Agroforestry. Slides.
- Ferguson, RS. (2015). Permaculture as Grasssroots Network and Farming System: 5 Years of Research. In 12th International Permaculture Conference. London, UK.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2014). Land use and livelihood diversity on permaculture agroecosystems in the US. Presented at the From Ocenas to Mountains. 99th ESA Annual Meeting (August 10 — 15, 2014), Sacramento, CA. Slides.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2013). Conservation contra Permaculture: Alternative Ecologies of Multifunctionality and Resistance to Neoliberal Agriculture. Presented at the Dimensions of Political Ecology: Conference on Nature Society., Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky. Slides.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2012a). From Garden Ecology to Sustainable Agriculture: the Emergence of Permaculture Farms. Presented at the 2nd Int’l Food Studies Conference, Urbana, IL: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Slides.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. (2012b). Hybrid Ecological Knowledge: Permaculture and the Political Ecology of Landscape Regeneration. Presented at the Dimensions of Political Ecology 2012, Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky. Slides.
- Ferguson, RS, and ST Lovell. Livelihoods on US Permaculture Farms. Poster presented at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers, Boston MA.
- Ferguson, RS. (2015). Multifunctional Landscapes on US Permaculture Farms: Land Use and Practice on 48 Sites. Poster presented at the 27th International Congress for Conservation Biology, Montepelier, France. Download.
- Ferguson, RS. (2013). Engaging Ecological Literacy from the Ground Up: The Influence and Impacts of the Permaculture Movement. Poster presented at the Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting 2013: Sustainable Pathways: Learning From the Past and Shaping the Future, Minneapolis, MN. Download.
- Sears, E., Warburton-Brown, C., Remiarz, T., & Ferguson, R. S. (2013). “A Social Learning Organisation Evolves a Research Capability in Order to Study Itself”. Poster, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research’s Radical Emission Reduction Conference. Download.
- Lovell, ST., A Bennett, RS Ferguson, JR Taylor. (2011). Multifunctional urban agriculture – Supporting earth stewardship in human-dominated ecosystems. Poster presented at the 96th ESA Annual Convention, Austin, USA. Download.
- Ferguson, RS. 2014. “Toward 21st Century Permaculture: Critical Questions and Early Answers.” Permaculture Activist, no. 93: Science in Permaculture (August). Download.
- Ferguson, RS. 2014. “Toward 21st Century Permaculture: People’s Science or Pseudo-Science?” Permaculture Activist, no. 93: Science in Permaculture (August). Download.
Selected Other Presentations
- Ferguson, RS. (2015a, September). Permaculture and Peoples’ Science: The State of the Movement and Beyond. Workshop presented at the 12th International Permaculture Convergence, Essex, UK.
- Ferguson, RS. (2015b, September). Liberation Ecology: Designing the Permaculture Movement. Workshop presented at the 12th International Permaculture Convergence, Essex, UK.
- Ferguson, RS. (2015c, September). Nesting/Listening: Design, Scale, and Solidarity, from Project to Movement. Workshops presented at Liberation Permaculture, Essex, UK.
- Ferguson, RS, K Olson-Ramanujan, and S Gabriel. (2010–2015, Summer). Permaculture Design Course. 14 Day Intensive presented at the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute Annual Permaculture Design Course.
- Ferguson, RS. (2013, November). Toward 21st Century Permaculture: People’s Science or Pseudo-science? Talk presented at the 11th International Permaculture Convergence, Jibacoa, Cuba.
- Ferguson, RS. (2011, August). Integrated Mushroom Production for Small Farms. Talk presented at the Northeastern Organic Farming Association – Summer Conference, Amherst, USA.
- Ferguson, RS. (2010, February–June). Mushroom Power! Mycoscaping for Growing Power (Integrated Mushroom Production for Urban Eco-agriculture). Workshop series, Growing Power, Chicago.
- Ferguson, RS. and M Krawczyk. (2010). Treeing the Vermont Farmscape. Northeast Organic Farming Association Winter Conference.
- Ferguson, RS. (2009a). Liberation Ecology: Ecological Strategies and Social Objectives. Workshop, Dartmouth College.
- Ferguson, RS. (2009b). Permaculture: Grassroots Ecological Design. Workshop, University of Vermont.
- Ferguson, RS. (2008). Permaculture and Sustainable Futures for New York. Cornell Agroforestry Resource Center.